Disclaimer

You are at the risk of entering my world as I see it. Any resemblance to people or situations to the real world is coincidental. The names and characters are fictional and the fiction posts are a mere fantasy of my whim. This is a make-believe world of my complex mind and while I try not to be offensive, if the content is too strong, please do not continue reading the post.

Jun 11, 2009

Too late???

DISCLAIMER: This is a fictional story. All the characters are fictional. The incident itself is a creation. Any resemblance to people or to the situations in the real world, is purely coincidental.


---------------------------------------

“Let me drop you”, he said.
“Not if you are the last one left on this earth”, she growled.

His pride took a ride, yet the fear for her, overbearing every rationale. The terrorists are loose in the city and the thought of her life in danger, however remote the possibility caused him to swallow his ego and ask of her again, “Please…”

“I would rather be within the touching distance of a suicide bomber”, she said.

Turning her back to him, she walked away, muttering, “So typical of him to think I require him now, as though I have not survived without him. I do not need him to feel secure in my life. I am happy and perfect and ….”
“Are you?”, her conscience questioned.
“Yes”
“Stop lying to yourself at least”, her conscience countered.
“I am not”, she argued stubbornly.

His eyes followed her retreating back and wondered how it ever came to this?
What happened to them? The tiff a few months ago held no meaning, just the drag of silence compelling and significant, each sticking to their guns.
He still felt he did nothing wrong.
“Nothing?”, his conscience probed him.
“May be I need to apologise, get over with it. What if she will treat me with polite aloofness? That will hurt me more.”
“Will that pain be more than the happiness you will have, when she is with you?”, his conscience countered.
“No, but still, what if she wishes to never look at my face again?”
“Do you want to still contemplate, knowing that she completes you?”
“What if she ignores me?”
“Is that it? Is that what you are afraid of? That she would ignore you?”
“I don’t know.”
“Then she is better off without you!”, his conscience stated.

The very thought piercing and ripping him apart.
“May be I will just talk to her and see where she stands.”
“Coward”, his conscience challenged.

BOOOOOM!!!!

The tremble of the earth, the deafening explosion and the reverberating echo of the blast and the sudden dread in his heart…

“Oh God!”… Aghast, he raced through the path, dialling the now unfamiliar number, the number he made a conscious effort to not dial in the last six months…

He took in the sight in front of his eyes. Sirens are blasting everywhere it seemed, yet he was livid. His eyes unfocused and his breath uneven, he looked at his cell impatiently, noticing that there is no coverage…

“$$$$!!” “F$***!!”, he bellowed…

“Am I too late?”, his voice echoed through his mind, his questions hung in the air, cluttered as the evident destruction in front of him while he hopelessly looked around…

14 comments:

Vijaya Daram said...

Too Good............ Mahi..

Will that pain be more than the happiness you will have, when she is with you? Single question lo vallidari madhyalo ... vunna love depth ni cheppasaru hats off you for this :) .

Adi said...

Fantastic..... But......

If you were to change the ending and make them live happily ever after....whom do you think would have taken the first step?

Mahita said...

@Vijaya,
Thanks :)...

@Adi...
Welcome to my blog... and thanks for your comment.... :)

I am compelled to point that the ending was left out :), so out of curiosity what did u make the ending to be? :)
Afterall, they might not have worked out the differences and lived happily ever after!
Or may be, the happily ever after exists only in the novels and not in real life :)... so, they might have eventually lived a parallel life!

I know I have not answered the question,so here is my answer:

I personally believe that there is no first step or last step, in any relation, it is a continuous movement, together and forward, once you have decided to commit urself and by commitment I mean saying the words, "I love you". Even if they chose to ignore each other, their conscious effort itself has a togetherness in it, right? So, as far as I am concerned the first step would be of that person who comes around to the point that, they are in it together, what ever 'it' is and that nothing they ever do would alter anything between them, but the time that has lost would never come back!

So, who do you think would take that first step? :)

Purnima said...

WOW.. Loved it!

This is the exact reason, why I keep egging on you to try fiction.

Just too good! Expecting more from you.

kris said...

Mahita - Too good of title u gave to the post.
I read the whole blog and went back to see the title...which is apt!
A little of two words (too late??) mean how much in our lives!!
of course these two words should still be accompained by ever brutal "EGO!!"

if i would say the ending of this story...
I would like to see them both together...
not just because stories/novels always end happily. But the conscious got in their minds, will definitely make them understand how would it be (life!!) with out the person whom they want to...

Yet again, as you said there is nothing like first step or last step..., it is continuous....

after all willing to see them together doesn't mean a happy ending though!! It also seems they still need to understand each other lots!!!

Mahita said...

@Puri
Glad you could drop by.. and thanks for the wonderful words .. coming from you, I take it as a reward...
I will try out my hand at fiction, once in a while... :)

@Krishna
Welcome..
he he... seeing them together need not mean happy ending, just about sums up the complexity of a relation :)....
Glad you dropped in...

Anonymous said...

Awesome....This is fantastic for a first time fiction post :)

Keep it going..you have many readers for your thoughts.

I think if there is a limit on the number of words that can be used -
"“Am I too late?”, his voice echoed through his mind, his questions hung in the air, cluttered as the evident destruction in front of him while he hopelessly looked around…"

This sums it all - really fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Check this out...send that para there, I was referring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/55_Fiction

Mahita said...

@Chandu

Thanks :)...

Su.. said...

Hello Sir/Madam(office effect)

Fiction huh.. And the only place you could imagine was 'Iraq'? :p..

A happy ending is what everyone expects but what matters is 'the beginning' - the actual core foundation of the relation. That is what decides the route to ones destiny.

Please correct me if I am wrong?

Regards,
Bond!

Beautifully written... :) :) :)

Mahita said...

@Mr Bond aka Su

'Beginning' you say? I ask you to think again! As days progress and the facets of the person become obvious, do you think the beginning matters? When you are swept away in the thrill of exploring each other, each caring for each other, each conscious of another's emotions? Do you think all this actually matter when the crux of the relation is on two ends of the pendulam?

Sushma said...

Yet another fantastic piece!
To me everything is as per priority, rather than right/wrong/ego :P

Unknown said...

In the beginning it was cool and at the end it was exploded :)

Nice post

Mahita said...

@Vinod,
Welcome to my blog!!
And many thanks for the comments :)