Disclaimer

You are at the risk of entering my world as I see it. Any resemblance to people or situations to the real world is coincidental. The names and characters are fictional and the fiction posts are a mere fantasy of my whim. This is a make-believe world of my complex mind and while I try not to be offensive, if the content is too strong, please do not continue reading the post.

Nov 12, 2008

BREAKING NEWS: Technology on a holiday!!!

Bright and sunny, this day promises a lot. But, sitting on the chair, with restless little mind, I think and that being a job in itself, wonder why I am not paid for it! Why doesn't human body have reward systems, for being able to convert mundane chores to tasks that are interesting? Why can't human mind be intelligent enough to reward the hard work and not so hard work? May be that is not so good an idea, for if conscience has a way of getting to me, I will not survive a day! Right! As is, it keeps nagging and I being a master at shutting it down, I shut it out. But, not before guilt creeps in.

Hmmm, what would happen if we can tune our mind to a computer? Well, with little to keep me occupied, what do you expect from me than these doldrums? Mind is a computer that human race has not yet mastered, with gadgets that are getting released week after week (or is it day after day?), humans find little use for it. May be, we should have a mechanism of switching it off and on! What if we have days where we will have to forgo using technology and tax our brain its due? We have grown to trust the systems we developed, but fail to trust our mind, sad yet true. But may be in future, there would be a holiday for technology, a black out sort of a thing and we will be forced to use the gifts that humans have – emotions and intelligence. Will we able to reach out through our emotions to the people we wish to reach out? Will our intelligence help us in surviving the black out? If such a day should occur, shudder! I do not think I can survive a day here.

See, effects of not taxing my brain appropriately, it already fails to wring out the possibilities of such a day and hence this despondent post!

What triggered this mindless chatter? This:

I get up to the possibility of not sitting in front of a computer or answer my phone or use a microwave or a dish washer or a washing machine or watch TV or listen to music (Oh God!). I am left to the mercy of kind nature to learn the rhythms of life. And one thought reverberates through my mind, FREEDOM! Yes, freedom. I could see myself dancing down the stairs into the kitchen making myself a cup of coffee and strolling with bare feet in the back yard and listening to the birds chirping their morning wishes and me attuned to them and responding albeit in a voice that can only be called a grunt ;), yet it is my voice, opening up to the humming of the sweet voices of the birds above. Welcoming the morning freshness with a bright smile, I stretch my arms and embrace the first golden ray and taste the freshness of the dew. I settle in for a refreshing bath, cold water running down my skin tickling me and creating a little shiver down the spine. Refreshed and full of energy, I glide down the road to the market and pick up fresh vegetables, paying hard earned money with a smile on my face to a nonchalant seller and walk down the road, wishing passers by a happy morning. A song on my lips and chopping with a knife, and cooking with fire, I make food and set it aside. I settle in a couch with book in my hand and into the world of fiction, I sink in, engrossed and anxious.

Suddenly I am awake and … and… remote… remote… TV – "kabhi kabhi adithi zindagi …", Ok it is working.

My mobile –
"Hello??"….
"what the f*** time is it??"..
"oops, sorry, checking if it is black out day"
"What day??? It is in the middle of the night and whatever day it is, will start only after five hours, now shut the f*** up and hang up!"
":("

That is a dream and thank God, it is a dream. Beyond the morning coffee, I require technology to survive every minute of the day, else I will be clueless and lost in the myriad thoughts that do not have a sane meaning!

5 comments:

Prabhu Dutta Das said...

This is so real. Almost everyone feels it, lamenting it but abides by it. Memories flashed out and as a result a post I had read somewhere in back lanes iterated itself vividly on me! I almost forgot who the author was :|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No one's around as you read this. Just you and that almost forgettable little voice which goes by the name of a conscience, telling you not to smoke when all your friends are puffing away, telling you to study just when you are beginning to have a good time, nagging you to be angelic just when the devil comes a-knocking. Now that you've looked all around and found no one peeking over your shoulder, let’s get down to answering some pesky little questions.

Yes the ones that get brushed aside in the normal humdrum of daily existence, the ones that ought to be answered but never are. Allow yourselves the torture of facing them this one time.

When was the last time you treated yourself to the luxury of a lazy evening lolling on some grass? Doing absolutely, soaking in a fast dimming curtain of sunlight, feeling each blade of green as it pokes you, hearing a squirrel behind you, stretching yourself in utter abandonment.

When was the last time you reveled in a friendly leg-pulling session? Ripping a friend apart? Not online and certainly not over the phone. A simple person to person laughter soaked, buddy bashing spree.

When was the last time a line in a book or a song moved you in an inexplicable way? Not earth-shatteringly, ground-breakingly different. Not breath-takingly beautiful. Just moving in a quiet, almost shy manner.

When was the last time you felt the tongue of a dog lick across your face in that adorably delightful way that is so cleverly mastered by all creatures canine? Just enjoyed the moment when a dog bounds up to you, laughter rollicking in his eyes, ball in mouth, asking you if you could throw it just one more time.

It is extraordinary how we manage to go past our lives living from one mundane task to another. Hopping from one excruciating deadline to the next, zombified by the necessity to exist, doing things that are supposed to be done, following the path others lay down as the correct one. This is certainly not a pep talk telling you to follow your dreams. It’s about telling you to at least find the time to dream in the first place. Consider yourself worthy enough to dream for. The time used to think for yourself, your needs and your own wishes is always time well spent. Living each day as a drag, complaining about painful workloads, studies, jobs, and families isn't what we were meant to do. We were (hopefully) meant to be living our lives more passionately, packed with more laughter and some amount of hurt and tears each day and certainly more satisfaction.

So the next time you see a face smile at you, hear a quirky little tune, take the time to enjoy it with a happier heart. Giggle at trivial things (frankly no one is bothered by your breaking out into grins so forget about looking silly), enjoy a bath, hum a song, eat with passion and be a livelier person. This may sound like a Readers' Digest "How to Stay Happier" article and maybe it is. But somewhere the beat of that teeny voice of your conscience is nodding its head in agreement in its sagely condescending manner.

Mahita said...

Thank u... :), that was too true and too fabulous. despite reading it a few times, it leaves me spell bound and though I have not yet been completely devoid of smiles, this brings back an urge in me to stop rambling about the dull chores, but rather to take reins of my life and start LIVING again :)...
thank u for taking the time to post such a beautiful comment :).

Prabhu Dutta Das said...

Ahh, at least the reins are controlled! I have to still learn the act :)

Su.. said...

Boy.. Does this blog comprise of those few good men who invented the so called 'Blogging world' and am I not using the so called technology to post a comment.. Phew!!

Techno me :)..

Yes.. We slave to money.. and die.. This is how life is..Who knows when is your death written.. All we can do is try and find sometime in our lives where we can be simply.. US ..

Mahita said...

True Su, we should FIND time for ourselves and our loved ones... :)
Thanks for dropping by... :)