Disclaimer

You are at the risk of entering my world as I see it. Any resemblance to people or situations to the real world is coincidental. The names and characters are fictional and the fiction posts are a mere fantasy of my whim. This is a make-believe world of my complex mind and while I try not to be offensive, if the content is too strong, please do not continue reading the post.

Nov 4, 2008

Lake District - Journal

Lake district, is in the North West part of England and is nothing short of a paradise. It was a fabulous experience and only makes one want more of it. Two days were just not sufficient. We stayed at a place called “The Carriage House” in Windermere and we did the house warming as it was recently opened for the tourists. At about 5 hour driving distance from Luton, the place is a scenic beauty. I was completely glued to the sides, looking at the scenic beauty of the place and many a time I uttered "Oh my!", and I have lost all the words to express the brilliance of the place.

What started of as an impulse plan on Friday was executed on the very day, thanks to the active participation of everyone. When the Kingston gang reached my place at around eight thirty in the evening, we were set and raring to go. We started on our long journey to Lake District at around ten in the night, after our dinner, with a flask of hot coffee for the ride and few essentials for the trip of two days so that we would not spend time running around for food and groceries. With couple of breaks at the service station we reached the place at around four in the morning, with a little difficulty in figuring out the place. Even in the night the place looked majestic and the gaze outside the window on to the sky was breathtakingly brilliant with clear dark sky and stars twinkling away, adding to the magic of the night, already promising the spectre that nature was about to offer us. The drive was made even more magnificent with the responsible driving skills and adeptness of Venkat and Srini and when I say we enjoyed the drive as much as the beauty of the whole trip, I can vouch that I am speaking for everyone of us involved in the trip.

The lock was hung in a key box beside the office of Cumbrian Cottages and opens with a coded key, Shhh! Secret! The place has an antique look to it as though it wants us to go back in time and live in a different era all together, away from the modern artificiality and hurry. There was a relaxed beauty and a lethargic brilliance to the place and once we entered the house, I knew I am in for the time of my life and that I would enjoy this trip more than any places I have visited thus far and I would not mind spending the rest of my life there, that magnificent it was. Opening the big old door, with a small brass lock that was difficult to turn, I knew I am entering a time warp to a place that I had dreamt. Walking through the rooms and exploring the place in the night, switching on the light, reading the instructions and letting out exclamations at the simplicity of the place, yet looking magnificent in its whole simplicity, with satin blankets and pillows, clean and tidy kitchen, and new cutlery, I was fascinated and thrilled. It was my first experience in a cottage, with no pending responsibilities, I know that this was the time for relaxation and I was already looking forward to the morning, where we would be heading down the road to the beach.

With over five hours on the road, I must say everyone was exhausted and since it was a last minute plan, I was very sure everyone wouldn't have had a chance to tune their minds for fun and excitement, but the place was such that even the most exhausted person would come to life. We rested for the night and woke up at seven thirty in the morning and rushed through our morning routine. As soon as I was in a semblance of tidiness ;), I walked out with my digicam to look at the place and the back yard and dear me, it was simply fantastic. I took a recording, though I cannot share it with anyone as my voice was sounding alarmingly kiddish :(. Mythili and Hema were busy making curry for the day and I was busy shooting people in the kitchen, fresh out of their beds and waiting for their morning coffee. With little anxiety and breathlessness, I was in full flow, what with the ambience and the setting of the cottage, I was unwilling to let go of my cam. But, then after the shooting of the place, we had our breakfast and we were ready to head out for our first take of the place.

We started in our cars for the Sandy beach and we wasted an hour figuring out the route, despite navigator. We reached the beach, but I was a little disappointed, because I could not understand why it is called the sandy beach, instead of a rocky beach, for I could not see sand in the vicinity. And it was freezing and windy, hence we could not get into the water. We sat there for sometime and came out of that place, by which time our stomachs were grumbling for food and we headed to the pizza hut for our lunch. Mythili and sharee enjoyed their share in KFC, while the others ordered a Cheesy Bite – Veggie Supreme _ Large and I ordered an Cannell(I hope so - a pasta) and we enjoyed our meal. We decided to head for the wild animal park and we started our one hour drive towards our destination.

Wild animal park, was, well, wild, Duh!!! I saw the king of the forest, jailed in a natural looking jungle, and I was awestruck by the power he radiates. Looking at the lion so close made my heart skip a beat or two, but the regal look in its eyes was more than sufficient to make the trip worth while. And the tigers, Sumatra tigers, were royal. Rhinos, bears, giraffe, kangaroos, monkeys, penguins, parrots, ostrich, peacock, owls, baboons, turtles… all in all, it was a collection of species. Nothing new there, but the environment was close enough to their natural habitats and we were able to watch every animal at a touching distance, making it even more thrilling. That is a different story that I have an aversion to any living and walking species that is not homo-sapien. But still, where can I get to watch a Lion at the touching distance of my hand and where can we take snaps with peacocks and ostrich? At the closure of the trip, we headed to a small souvenir shop in the park and then to a coffee place and finally headed for a drive down the Ambleside, which turned to be a head back for home, to Windermere.

The scenic beauty of the drive, though was now familiar, I was unprepared for the beauty that nature had to offer me and I was at a loss for words, except for Oh My God!, which I am very sure, people were tired of listening, but then, I was muted by the sheer elegance the place portrayed. I was like a canvas, painted by nature, with lush green farms, mountains, lakes and the smooth roads with their twists and turns. Though my stomach was grumbling for food, for it was its time for food, I was lost in the marvel of the place that was a peace lovers heaven.

Reaching home at seven, all I could think of was food and I could not wait for anyone. I had my roti and once the energy was back in my stride we went for window shopping down the place for a few minutes and we were back, ready to hit the sack, tired and exhausted. We switched on the big flat screen TV in the living room, and played "the hook" movie and watched it for a few minutes before my eyes were drooping and I was wandering into a dreamy world. I walked back into my room and the next thing I know was that I was in a wonderland. After a long long long time, did I sleep peacefully, with heart content and mind at peace and I slept like a log.

Next day, we planned to go for the cruise and we were up by seven thirty. I was ready and downstairs by eight and I was making the curry for the day. Finally Srini figured out how to work the coffee machine and people were having fabulous bed coffee and garlic bread with Mozarella Cheese on the top. Who says heaven is hard to find? Each having their choice of break fast, ranging from corn flakes to parathas to roti to rice to coffee and garlic bread, we made a feast for the break fast and we set out for the cruise. The shopping on the lake bank was splendid, giving me a good bargain for essential things and the Ambleside cruise lasted for an hour, each minute creating an impression that I will not forget for the rest of my life. We took loads of snaps, videos and everyone was having fun, despite the cold at the top of the cruise ship. With a smile that did not leave my face, I was inscribing every tiny detail, both in terms of personnel and the nature into my mind and I was lost in the swarm of images that are ebbed in my heart and lake district has created itself a small place in my heart for its sheer beauty. Friends adding more sparkle to it.

Finally, after the cruise, there was more shopping and we headed back home for our lunch and drive back home. Srini made alu fry and we had our lunch, cleaned the place to the best of our ability, though there was nothing much to clean, except for the dishes and table :). We headed back home, with the drive promising more beauty and leaving a lasting impression on me. And sure it did. Getting to know the yarns of each others lives, we sure have gotten to know people much better and I hope everyone echoes the same. Reaching at around eleven thirty, only to realise that there are no tubes beyond midnight, the Kingston gang bunked at my place for the night and everyone was hungry. Thankfully, they all adjusted with bread, maggi and boost.

There is magic in nature and Lake District is a proof for it. There is beauty in nature and a spectre to lush green fields and Lake district again vouches for it. Nature embraces you and enthrals you into a dream land, colourful and bright and filled with hope. There is an undisputed beauty in it that holds one’s amazement forever in the magical spell it weaves.

I hope you all have enjoyed reading this journal as much as I have enjoyed recollecting it.

3 comments:

Su.. said...

After reading the blog... All I want to do is.. Go and sit in lake district forever :(.. Wish I was there too :( :( :( !!

vijayenjoy said...

sorry cudnt read completely as it is a cmm level 5 certified journal.....please make it crispy and dramatic.....but on the whole got the lake district is a place worth a visit...

Mahita said...

Thanks Su, for dropping a comment and yes, well, that was what the blog was supposed to convey ;)..

Vijay, this blog is a journal - convey the exact details of the trip ;)... but check out my other post - my experiences in Lake District - though it will not be dramatic - not required, the place speaking truths of it is more than sufficient, no dramatic sequences are required, just like, Sachin Tendulkar is sufficient, we need not mention his statistics to speak about him :). Thank u for taking the time to comment :).